Have you ever wondered what the role of an electrician is? I recently received an email from a reader and he asked me exactly like this:
“ … What does the Electrician do? I want to start my professional career but I still have doubts… “.
Probably you must, at some point in your career, have been questioned in this way, whether by a young person who is about to start his career or even by a professional who is looking to change profession.
But when we are asked, we are faced with self-questioning:
Being an Electrician is…
Much more than knowing how to change a shower heater as our neighbors think, and how they think!!!
In some cases, the professional in the electrical area observes that there is the possibility of starting a career as a self-employed person and it really is possible, I would also say that it is very easy.
THE ELECTRICIAN PROFESSION
The Electrician can basically follow three areas of activity: Building, Residential or Industrial, and what we can say is that regardless of the area chosen, this professional will have the responsibility to perform tasks such as:
- Corrective/Preventive and Predictive Maintenance
- Preparation of small projects
- Execution of Installations
- Preparation of commercial proposals
- Inspection of facilities, etc…
If we were to list here the professional attribution of everything that the electrician in his various areas and segments does, I would write a gigantic text, the intention is to cover it in a generic and transparent way so that it is possible to clarify doubts and help some of you in making a decision in choosing a profession that I see as a successful profession.
We can define Maintenance as follows:
Maintenance is the combination of all technical and administrative actions, including supervision, designed to maintain or restore an item in a state where it can perform a required function.
The professional in the electrical area may be directed to the maintenance area and, to be honest, the vast majority of professionals who decide to work in the industry decide to follow this area of expertise (mainly because of the salary that is usually quite advantageous ).
Normally, to work as a maintenance electrician, the professional must have knowledge in Electrical Installations for the development of installations and infrastructure such as machine power networks, power distribution points, outlets, and lighting of a residence, among others.
Knowledge in Electrical Controls will also be required from them, which will help them mainly in the industrial area where all the development of operating and automation logics is based on electrical commands, but the professional in the Building or Residential area will also come across electrical commands when performing maintenance on a water pumping system or on home automation, among others.
Maintenance can be divided into three:
- Preventive Maintenance , where the objective is to inspect and carry out actions that keep the installation or equipment in operation, eliminating situations that could lead to possible defects. From simple cleaning to complete verification of cable connections and connectors in general can include preventive maintenance.
- Predictive Maintenance , in this case, we are dealing with maintenance with planning and monitoring of equipment and devices, since in this case all or almost all devices are monitored according to their useful life and their replacement is based on this factor, for example, if a thermostat has a useful life of 20,000 hours stipulated by the manufacturer, when it reaches this amount of hours or an amount stipulated by the maintenance planner, the thermostat will be replaced regardless of whether it is working or not.
- Corrective Maintenance , this type of maintenance is well known and no wonder, it is about recovering the operation of a device, equipment or installation after it is defective, that is, to repair it after it has stopped working, if we observe, the Most of the times that we have the need to intervene with corrective maintenance means that preventive and/or predictive maintenance was not performed correctly.
That the Electrician is not a designer you already know correct? But this does not mean that the electrician will not have to develop small projects, for example, dimensioning the start of an electric motor or even residential electrical installation.
The fact is that on a daily basis, whether you are a professional with a lot of experience or not, you will have to interact with sizing and projects to carry out installations and/or maintenance.
It is a fact that the professional in the electrical area find it very easy to provide services autonomously and can be considered very profitable, but many factors are taken into account when you decide to provide services.
Note that your experience is valuable and few perform a service equal to yours, so value your work but prove to your client your technical capacity and be transparent by drawing up a detailed budget, whether for the electrical installation of a residential installation or for the installation of a machine in the industrial environment.
In addition to carrying out installations, assembly of panels, and infrastructure, the Electrician must know how to inspect, carry out inspections in existing installations to check the safety and effectiveness of the devices, wiring, and equipment that comprise the installation.
The Electrician has several areas of expertise, but it is a fact that this profession is and will always be very well requested, we can say that there is no automation to replace this workforce and it is without a shadow of a doubt a profession that allows you to start a self-employed job. with a very, very low initial investment compared to other professions.