To ensure controlled entry into private territory, owners often install safety barriers. The device, consisting of an arrow and a rotary mechanism, can be found in paid and free parking at office and shopping centers, as well as in small yards of apartment buildings. This reflects the main function of the safety barriers – blocking entry or exit to restrict or regulate the movement of vehicles.
How the safety barriers are arranged
Any safety barriers consists of two main elements:
- Rack (or pedestal) – is the basis of the entire structure. Most often made of durable material – steel or a combination of metal and concrete elements. Since the safety barriers operate in different climatic conditions (heat, frost, precipitation), the main characteristics of the source material are corrosion resistance. Curbstones are equipped with the power or automatic mechanism for control of the device.
- Boom – a working element of the structure. It is made of the facilitated materials – plastic, wood, a metal profile, aluminum. Section (round, rectangular or triangular) and length are selected individually. In areas where windy weather prevails, you can often find a round arrow. The working element is usually painted in alternating red and white stripes to attract attention with reflective elements. This allows motorists to spot an obstacle in time and avoid a collision.
Varieties of barriers for the arrangement of driveways
The basis of different types of safety barriers is the principle of their management. There are two types of devices that provide safe and controlled departure:
- mechanical (or manual) – are obsolete types of structures and are installed in places with low capacity. This pattern requires the application of physical force to open the boom and pass the car into the area. As a rule, such models can be found in parking lots near residential buildings with working staff – a guard or security guard. Advanced hand designs can be equipped with a counterweight – after unlocking the boom itself rises, opening access inside. Safety Barriers with a counterweight are installed in places that do not have access to electrical networks;
- automatic – work without the participation of external physical force. Such safety barriers are controlled by a self-locking device by pressing a button or triggering an alarm (for example, at a railway crossing). There are several types of automatic barriers, but each has a motor (hydraulic or electromechanical), gearbox, balancing spring, and boom. In the event of a power outage and power outage, the structure works like a normal mechanical safety barriers.
There are also individual parking models with small parameters from 60 to 80 cm. They are installed in home and office areas to reserve a parking space. Their installation is established by concreting and fastening by means of anchor bolts.
The main characteristics of barriers
By type of rotary boom distinguish:
- rotary – the boom moves in the opposite direction from the vehicle (on the principle of opening the door). This design provides a sufficient radius for free unimpeded movement of the boom. However, before such a model should be marked on the asphalt, indicating the stopping place for the car;
- vertical – the most common type of lifting, where the boom rises strictly upwards. The convenience of a design consists in the minimum use of useful space;
- retractable – are miniature gate structures in which the canvas rolls to the right or left, unlocking the exit or entrance. This design is well visible in rainy or foggy weather and significantly reduces the risk of accidental impact on the device.
Alternative types of overlapping structures include a chain device in which the chain acts as an arrow. It is installed between two racks and is controlled automatically or mechanically: lowering down – providing entrance, lowering – it’s blocking. The chain when lowered is placed in a special chute and when passing through the structure the car does not come into contact with the metal parts of the chain.
The basic settings and principles of operation of barriers also include the following:
- adjusting the speed of the arrow and the intensity of its use. Here you should take into account the general rule – the longer the arrow, the longer it takes to raise it;
- the width of the overlapping space. The length of the working element can vary from 2.5 to 10-12 meters. To increase throughput, you can often find a structure consisting of two arrows facing each other;
- equipping with additional accessories and safety elements: reflective elements, antennas, radios, photocells, rubber pads, etc.
Popular manufacturers of barriers
The flagship of the industry and the largest manufacturer of safety barrier structures in Australia. The company came is a world-renowned leader in the production and maintenance of automatic models of all types of boom openings. Manufacturers are quite young, but already able to compete with. The company focuses on cost-effective designs, using a variety of fashion technologies and know-how in electronic drive stuffing.
Products of the manufacturers are designed to work in difficult climatic conditions of high humidity and low temperatures. A significant advantage of the manufacturer is the pricing policy compared to ones. The factory deserves worthy attention, as well as the availability of spare parts during the warranty and after purchase service.
Another article on this blog that might interests you: